Friday 22 May 2015

There's a first time for everything

So many dirty memories... anyway this isn't about those, it's about these!


A while ago (ok, ages ago) I said something along the lines of finally getting into model aircraft.
I never built up a kit as a lad you see, and for some reason the idea has always been something I put into the too-hard basket and ended up doing something more familiar instead.
Over the years I have built/painted/customized/sculpted many things in the 28mm Sci fi and fantasy sphere, I just never managed to get it together enough to give a kit a go.

No longer! I am very happy to relate that I have completed my FIRST EVAR model aircraft!

Here is (after a metric fuck-ton of wanky self doubt and deliberation) my FW190 A5-U12 =)


The kit - Academy's FW190 A6-8 1/72
 The kit is exhaustive in details - you can use it to build most of the popular production models of the FW-A series fighter/fighter bomber and includes 20mm gondola pods, a drop pod and bombs... Fuckin awesome!

 My attempt...

Yeah so its not perfect... far from it actually.

Basically I did my utmost to fail miserably at this project; starting with deciding to spray undercoat the entire model on its sprue - meaning that I ended up supergluing this kit together instead of using Poly-cement... sigh, oh the humanity.


Next up would be the fact that I used the wrong cowl over the engine - resulting in an Fw190A5 with MG17's instead of the 13mm guns it should have - then I managed to fit the 'blown' canopy instead of the 'straight' canopy, oh dear... 


The propeller looks good though.


And these are the bits that make this a 'U12' version of the type - 4X20mm cannons in two under wing gondolas. Designed to add even more firepower to the Fw's already substantial armament, specifically to deal with the 8th Air force's B17's and Liberators.
It might be worth noting that I doubt an FW190A5-U12 operated over Tunisia (which is the camo scheme I opted for) It might also be worth noting that desert camo Luftwaffe units probably didn't use 'scribble pattern' over the RLM tropic splinter scheme and that I lost the cannon barrels for the wing root guns... Whatever =)


But in the end the front bit is at the front and the back bit... is a bit crooked, but still essentially pointing in the right direction.
And doesn't she look nice =)

Yes I used a CD for the base terrain - it's all I've got right now ok?!


Here are the next two projects;


 This will be the last Swordfish that I build FOR A LOOOONG TIME... Airfix, I love you but... why??
(Looks cool though, I like to make plane noises while I glue it together... ahem)




And an unfortunately shit photo of a Spitfire Mk XIVC that is actually turning out rather well (being my 2nd attempt and all) I decided to go with the South East Asia/Burma camo on this one (even though technically that would mean this would be a MkXIV-E? - Technically, my dear, I don't give a damn...)

So there you go!
Lots of stuff on the table for other peeps ATM - but don't worry, I have all kinds of mindwarp on the horizon for you.

Bye!

Ace



No comments:

Post a Comment